Friday, September 11, 2009

Butterflies and Hurricanes

About a week ago, while on the phone with KayKay, we made this weird spontaneous decision to be tourist-sy and visit the Butterfly Farm. At first I was like "Uh, the Butterfly Farm?" but then KayKay was all excited and kept going "We're going to the butterfly farm, the butterfly farm, the butterfly faaaarm!!" and you know it's always pretty hard to resist enthusiasm like that. Unless you're the Grinch, then yeah it's understandable.

So the next day, KayKay picked me up and off to the Butterfly Farm we went. I know technically, it's called the Butterfly Park, but I want to call it the Butterfly Farm because it sounds better that way. We had a map, and since it was still pretty early, there were hardly any cars on the road so we thought we would be at the Butterfly Farm in no time at all.

Buuuuttttt we got lost.

The map that we had (being touristsy mah) said that it was at Lake Gardens, which would be near the National Mosque. But when we got there, we were like "Where do we turn in??" and then we went round and round to look for a way to get into Lake Gardens. I kid you not, we probably spent 30 minutes going round in circles. At least 30 minutes! Such a waste of time. And the sun at 1pm isn't friendly.

So after cooking in Angie for the longest time ever, we finally got to the right place after many turns and "Are we there yetttt?" I was mostly the one whining, KayKay was just getting more and more pissed off with every round we took.

Did you know that the Butterfly Farm charges Rm16 per entry per adult (OMFG!!) but only Rm8 if you're a Malaysian? Now that's just unfair. Why can't it be equal rates for everyone? But I'm not complaining, cuz they only charged us Rm8 per person. And also, if you want to bring in a camera, you have to pay an additional Rm5 or something like that. Then for a compact camera, they charge you Rm1. I think. They should rent out cameras! Like, seriously. Make the people leave some sort of deposit, like their ICs or passports and then when the tourists leave, they can burn all the images into a DVD-R or something. I mean, take the opportunity to earn some extra cash!

My Renoir's got 8MP. I'm sneaky like that.

So we finally went in and there's like butterflies galore!

Photobucket

They put bananas and pineapples for the butterflies to suckle in case they can't find enough nectar from the flowers all around. Or maybe the butterflies are just lazy. I mean, why fly everywhere to get nectar when it's just laid out there for you?

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one landed on our backpack! =D

There was one little misguided butterfly that landed on my shoulder. I didn't know what it was, but I felt the little vibrations coming from it fluttering its wings, and I freaked out. Hahahaha. Pussyyyyy

Photobucket

See those butterflies? They're coming out of the cocoon. Their wings are still all crumpled and wet, and they sort of flap them feebly to dry them off a little. Kind of cute, actually. And there are some cocoons with silvery stuff on them. See the green one on the right hand side? KayKay called them the "bling-bling cocoons".

But you know, even though some of the butterflies in that box are like, baby butterflies, they aren't exactly cute.

Photobucket

Bad ass butterfly!! If KM was a butterfly, she would be totally in lust with this one. Haha.

Then we went around the entire park, looking for butterflies to chase.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Big butterflies!

Photobucket

We saw these butterflies near the water feature. They were just scrambling about on the floor, flapping their wings rapidly. I think they were trying to dry their wings off because the floor was wet. Or do butterflies actually drink water? Because sometimes they would hover in the air for a second or two before landing back down on the floor and scramble around some more.

Pfft. Butterflies. Can't figure em out.

Photobucket

This one is really pretty. Definitely one of my favourites. But its wings are torn. KayKay said that sometimes the butterflies fight so to win the right to mate with the female butterflies. I wonder if the female butterfly has a say in their mating choice. Like you know, if the male butterfly isn't pretty enough (even though they're so so so pretty!!) and refuses to mate with the female butterfly, the male butterfly would force himself on her and rape her? Ohh maybe that's why the wings are torn. It's a female butterfly who is also a rape victim!

Yeah, sometimes I don't understand myself either.

Photobucket

This one reminds me of some Japanese lady. Like a kimono clad geisha. Pretty hor pretty hor. Wow the longer I look at the picture, the more I love the patterns on the wings. So beautiful.

Sometimes I secretly think I was dropped on the head one too many times when I was a wee one. That would certainly explain why I am prone to talking about nonsensical things like this.

Photobucket

The less pretty butterflies don't deserve a 640x480 pixels picture. Hahaha

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can't really see it, but this one is actually gold in color. But look ugly the face is! Hahahahaha suckerrrrr

Yes, even butterflies cannot escape my wrath.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I shall call this one Marilyn Monroe.

Photobucket

This one was funny! We found it lying in a puddle of water, so I was like "Oh, we should save it!" cuz they can't fly when their wings are wet. So KayKay picked it up and it had so much fun crawling about and around her fingers that we had some problem trying to get it off her fingers and onto a dry surface. And when we finally did, the dumb thing did a suicide jump off the leaf and back into the pool of water. So we stared at it for a while, then shrugged and left it. I guess it just likes the water. It was super hot in the park; I myself was tempted to hop into the water feature to cool myself off.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And then I was going round and round the place looking for places that we haven't already been, and found this little tunnel where they keep some exotic animals.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Look, it hates you!

Hahaha. Notice how the turtle's shell is caved in a little? I have a theory that once, while stretching up to the surface of the water to get some oxygen, it kind of fell backwards and couldn't get up (because it's a turtle!! HAH). And since this turtle is of the soft-shelled variety, it fell and squished itself on some rocks and the shell dented in and it was waving its stumpy little legs in the air trying to get some leverage but it failed! So when the staff finally found the capsized turtle, the shell was already set and ta-da! The funny shaped shell.

Of course, that's all a figment of my imagination.

And we also saw this pretty little butterfly being attacked to death by a swarm of bigass red ants. The poor thing was trying so hard to get away from their deathly grips, but more and more ants just kept crawling over to it and climbing on it and biting it and the butterfly just kept shuddering. KayKay says it's because of all the poison from the ants. Have you ever been bitten by an ant? It hurts! And we're like 2348740237 times the mass of the pathetic ant. Imagine you're the size of the butterfly, and getting bitten over and over and over again! What a slow, painful death!

I just stood there and whined at KayKay, asking her if we could save the butterfly. I sounded so much like a four year old, haha. I used to call butterflies "flutterbies". Damn cute right. Hahaha. Yeah, I used to verrryyyy precious when I was a kid. I have no idea what happened over the last couple of years, but whatever it was, it stripped me of my adorableness.

Anyway. Yeah. I wanted to save the butterfly, but then KayKay said that even if we do manage to drive all the ants away, the butterfly is already going into shock and will die eventually so all we would be doing is prolong it's death and make it suffer all the while before dying. I was so so incredibly sad. I wanted to stomp on the ants (taking out my anger, haha) but I was wearing flip flops and wasn't too fond of the idea of the ants crawling up my leg and biting me so I just left.

Fucking ants. I hate ants. I used to drop an eraser on them to stun them a little before scooping them up on my blade and lighting the lighter underneath it. Then after a while, the ant goes POP! Hahaha. Sooo fun.

I used to be such a cruel child. But ants are evil, so it's justified.

ANYWAY! It was starting to get really really hot, so we decided to high tail outta there and try to get to Midvalley Megamall before rush hour. And just as we're about to exit, I saw the butterfly that I had been trying to snap a picture of when we first went in, which was like two hours before.

Photobucket

I guess it got tired, ha-ha.

After we exit the butterfly farm, we come into this (Oh thank God) air conditioned room where they have displays of lots of live bugs and also those petrified ones. What do you call em? The dead ones with pins sticking into them, placed on display for everyone to see.

Photobucket

Look, beetles doing it doggy-style! Hahaha. No, they're feeding. I guess they like nectar too? Because there's a slice of pineapple in the box. But I have no idea why one of them is on top of the other.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This thing is called the Smiling Man bug, or something like that. Look at its back, it has a face on it! Really looks like a smiling man. =]

Photobucket

Look how blue they are! So gorgeous. What do you call these type of displays? I really want to know.

So after exiting from the Butterfly Farm, we trooped off to the Orchid Farm.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Okay, so these are morning glories, not orchids. But a flower is still a flower, and a flower by any other name would still smell the same.

PHWOAR check out my rhyming prowess.

Photobucket

I love the pretty white ones. They look so pure and undiluted from the world's evils.

Photobucket

This reminds me of the poem, A Road Less Taken or something like that which we were all forced to endure back in high school. But you know, not really because it's all paved and beautiful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hands down, the biggest Bunga Raya I've ever seen in my life. What's Bunga Raya called in English?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When I grow up, this is how my garden will look like.

Anywayyyyy by the time we were done with our tourist things, it was already pretty late and we had to leave so that we could beat the rush hour traffic to go watch Up! I seriously love that movie la, it's definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year.

So, what I learned on that day was, even though I might hate the great outdoors (yeah, sometimes I do), when you get to see someone you love smile so wide that it lights up their entire face, it makes you feel that all that you do is worth it. It doesn't matter how much I may dislike doing something, as long as it would make someone happy, I would do it.

It's not very healthy, I know. But that's just who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment