Thursday, August 13, 2009

Decent Days and Nights

I actually don't remember when was the last time I went out with a really good friend and just had plain silly fun. Most of the time I'd be going out with a bunch of them and the fun feels diluted somehow.

So anyway, it started off with me getting two movie premiere tickets to District 9. Since my first choice was working that night, and my second choice is in Singapore to catch Lady GaGa (bitch, I hate you YiMing) and I was too damn lazy to think of any more people to invite along, I did the lazy thing and posted a very public invitation on Facebook. So that's how I ended up going out with Siok on a Wednesday night.

The movie only starts at 9.30pm, but we heard that The All American Rejects would be paying Laundry Bar a visit, part of DiGi's promotional tactics for their new music thingy-thing. See, I already forgot what it's called. But it has something to do with unlimited song downloads for only Rm5 per month. A bit unbelievable riiiight. I wonder what the catch is. But they also offer chances to catch bands like Black Eyed Peas in concert. And all you have to do sign up for it (I think).

Photobucket

So we all went to Laundry in hopes of seeing AAR live. Well, Siok and I weren't exactly invited, but we really wanted to see AAR, so we put on our poker faces and registered anyhow. And we also got a DiGi goodie pack for that! See, if you got muka tebal, you get things. If you've got no balls, you don't get things. So we followed KhaiSim and ShaunLiew (I know him from working at that godforsaken place, Italiannies) into Laundry. They actually got invited. Bleh.

Siok and I decided that we should plant our asses inside of Laundry, so that the chances of us getting found out that we snuck in would be lower. I mean, I couldn't really be bothered, but Siok was like "I don't want to be caught, okay!" Paranoid android.

Anyway, we met up with LouisYap and Dila inside and we actually got a pretty good seat. Sure, we couldn't really see the stage when all the tall people with their DSLRs and flash guns stand right in front to snap pictures of the DiGi dude introducing their new service, but it's alright! Because we were only there for AAR.

I mean, truth to be told, I don't think any one of us were really listening to him. See, they had free food for us. And it's not cheapo food like the fried bee hoon or whatever that we usually get at events. Oh no, it's DiGi y'know. They've got enough money to have enough food from Italiannies to feed almost 75 people. And they've also got my favourite: Stuffed Mushrooms!

I fucking love stuffed mushrooms. They're like, my favourite food from Italiannies. I love it so much that once, my bro and I went to Italiannies for dinner, and all we had was one picollo carbonara (or in other words, carbonara for one) and one abonanzza stuffed mushrooms (or in other words, stuffed mushrooms for four to six people). Hah! And that was enough to fill our tummies. Mmm I love stuffed mushrooms.

Apparently Siok had never had them, and when she ate them she was like "Hey, this isn't bad! It's actually pretty good!" And we loved it so much that we made ShaunLiew get more food for us. And while we were munching on our dinner, Caprice (he's a local artist) put on a show. It's like his version of Akon's song. That Na Na Na song. I forgot what it's called. Haha. But he was really good. For those of you who didn't know, this is how he looks like:

Photobucket

Not too bad, I think. Although he does have a pretty weird habit of sticking out his tongue.. But he did put on a good show. YOU GO GLENN COCO! It's an inside joke. If your name is not TeoYiMing then you won't understand.

So then we impatiently waited for the AAR to arrive, but when it got close to 8pm, KhaiSim and I left to get our District 9 tickets and left Siok with ShaunLiew. Their job is to call us when AAR arrives.

BUT SADLY!!! They didn't come.

I am very disappointed. So was Siok. So with heavy hearts, we went to Cineleisure. I know they've changed the name to something stupid like e@Curve or something like that, but I'm gonna stick to Cineleisure. Why change it anyway? It was perfectly fine. Pfft.

And at Cineleisure, we bumped into Victoria and her mom! So cute la Vic, bringing her mom to watch a movie. I don't know, the idea is just feels so strangely alien to me. I'm just not that close to my mom. I don't even remember the last time I watched a movie with my mom! Probably never. I do know when was the last time I watched a movie with my dad though. I think it was Alien vs Predator, whenever that came out.

So after getting our free tickets, KhaiSim and Vic had this idea of playing pool. ShaunLiew, Siok and I made our way to the pool place, only to realize that KhaiSim and Vic were missing. Turns out, we left them way back at the cinema, where they "got distracted" by the dodgeball game on the ground floor. What a bunch of ADD kiddos they are.

Does anyone realize that Cineleisure is really hot? I hate it.

Oh, and I got a really interesting call from the aforementioned godforsaken place. Apparently, they're so short of staff that they want the people who formerly worked there to go back to work for them. And I told them no way in hell I would go back to work at that incredibly tasking job and running hot plates of food back and forth for only Rm5 an hour. And then she was like "Oh, noooo we're not paying you five dollars an hour. It's seven lah! Or if you're really good, we might even pay you eight dollars." And at this point I went "Ohh really?" I'm ashamed to say I was quite tempted. Because it does pay more than my current job. Plus, they said if I really wanted to, I could just work weekends, from 6pm till 11pm.

But then my common sense kicked in. Do I really want to work at such a stressful job for a Rm2 increase in pay? And plus, if I do work there, I'll probably be annoyed till death by him. I really cannot stand the guy. Is a Rm2 increase really worth my sanity? So not! And my mom also doesn't think that I should go back to them because I think I really complained a lot back when I worked there, so she could get the gist of the job. She knows it's tough and she probably thinks that they underpay and overwork us. Which I kind of have to agree. Plus, I really liked working there last time because of the people there, and now that they're all gone, I kind of don't really care much for Italiannies anymore. And plus their food is getting worse and worse, so what's the point, really?

I kind of think my mom really hates me working there. She was all "Don't need lah. It's only two dollars right? Tell them if they want you to work they have to pay you eight dollars an hour. At least." So I said something along the lines of how I would only work there if they wanted me for Independence Day, with double of that Rm8 pay and my mom's eyes literally gleamed and she was all "YA you tell them that! Think they can work you all so hard and just give you five dollars meh. They think you guys are what, their slaves ah?!" Well technically, Ma, slaves don't get paid.

My mom has something against that place. Haha. So funny.

Wow, I really got distracted there.

Um yeah, so Siok and I left early to get popcorn and drinks for the movie, only to realize that the movie starts at 9.30pm, instead of 9pm. I totally misread the time. So Siok and I grabbed our popcorn and watched the dodgeball players on the ground floor. And then I think one of us dropped a popcorn and it went over the railing and drifted down down down like snow! I think we were both kind of on a little endorphin trip and found everything funny. And we started tossing small bits of popcorn over. Even Vic found it hysterical. Especially when it landed on the judges' table and they didn't even notice.

I'm laughing again just thinking about it.

And then off we went to watch District 9. Vic's mom gave us face masks in case of H1N1. I can't stop stressing how cute it is that Vic brought her mom to watch a movie with her! And Aunty gave us masks too. Vic's mom is cool. She sat through District 9.

Photobucket

Now, what can I say about District 9....

I really, really, really can't believe I watched this movie. Seriously. It's so effing gory. They blow up humans and aliens like it's nothing, really. Then bits and pieces splat onto the screen and you get to see drippy blood. Fucking gross.

Siok and I were cringing pretty much throughout the entire movie. It's such a sadistic movie. But sometimes it can be funny, especially the "doggy style with the demon" comment.

Oh and they call the aliens "prawns". It's a derogatory term, like "nigga" or "chink". But honestly, the aliens look more like cockroaches.

So, bottom line is this: I HATE THIS MOVIE AND AM NEVER GONNA WATCH IT AGAIN. I really wouldn't recommend anyone to watch it, unless you like seeing blood and gory and pain and death.

Also, one thing I don't understand is why all the aliens are like brownish, but Christopher and eventually Wikus (oops, spoiled it there!) are green. What's up with that?

Verdict: 1.5/5
Props for humor, and the thinly veiled political undercurrent of the movie. And also, for the realism of fiction. Oh, and also, much thanks to Nuffnang who gave me tickets. Awesome.

But I really had fun hanging out with Siok. The girl is insane, but in a good way.

PS: Fucking a lot of spelling error in this post. What is happening to my English?!

No comments:

Post a Comment