Thursday, July 16, 2009

Everything's Magic

Photobucket

I watched Harry Potter! Oh yes, I did. I'm gonna compare it to the last movie I caught in the cinemas, which was Transformers 2. The crowd for Transformers was insane! Remember the long queues of people lining up for tickets? Well, scale that down by like, 78 percent and you'll have an idea of how empty GSC was. The cinema hall was barely half filled.

But whatever.

I'm gonna talk about the movie. No spoilers here cuz most of us have already read the book, right? Well, as someone who has read the book at least three times, I thought the movie turned out pretty true to the written version! Granted, the last time I read it was eighteen months ago, so I've forgotten most of the details. But for what I do remember, the movie successfully brought them to life.

Photobucket

I'm sure hard core Harry Potter fans would be disappointed in David Yates for skipping over parts here and there, and getting tiny stuff wrong (like the Felix Felicis potion. If I remember correctly, it's supposed to be gold, not transparent. But I could be wrong.) but all those were properly made up for with lots and lots of funny scenes. Most of us would have heard through the grapevine and through all the promotional hype that this movie contains more love-related stuff, and it's true! Most of them come off as hilarious, like the scene where Hermione shoots birds at Ron. Oh don't say SPOILER!!!! because this scene is in one of the trailers. And the part where Ron accidentally ate Harry's love potion-laced chocolates and assumes he's deeply in love with some other girl. That was funnyyyyyy.

Photobucket

Um, I guess there's not much to talk about the movie because after all, it is a from-a-novel-to-the-big-screen movie, so the movie is pretty much like the book. More or less. But there was this one scene where the Burrow gets set on fire by the Death Eaters. Was that in the book? I really don't know.

And they brought Quidditch back! Finally. I like the Quidditch scenes. Maybe it's because you can't really compare them to any other movies. I mean, awkward crushes on friends, done and done. Sparks and light and magic, done and done. Evil men bent on destroying good and taking over the world, done and done and done. So yeah, Quidditch is unique only to Harry Potter movies. Me likee.

Photobucket

Oh and Dumbledore dies in this movie! To be honest, that scene was such a let down! I expected something stronger because, hello! It's Dumbledore! Shouldn't he deserve a more touching scene than people raising their wands in the sky? What happened to the funeral and the white casket and Fawkes bursting into flames? I cried each time while reading the book, but during the movie all I did was stare at the screen. Let down, let down.

However, the rest of the movie certainly was not a let down. I really really like this one. I think it's the best one, after the Goblet of Fire. I'm not sure cuz I sure as hell can't remember the movie. In terms of action, maybe the Goblet of Fire was better but story pace and content, I think this one wins. It's definitely better than the Order of the Phoenix, which was messy, at best.

Photobucket

Um, I guess I would give this movie a 7.43/10. Daniel Radcliffe needs to improve a bit on his acting though. He's so wooden. Loosen up, dude! You did it for Equus!

No comments:

Post a Comment