Friday, December 11, 2009

Rum Is For Drinking, Not For Burning

The day after my second last paper, KayKay and I decided to have a mid-finals celebration. Yeah, we're weird. Actually that was just an excuse for us to order drinks and not feel guilty that we're drinking in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week. I tell you ah, I can almost find some sort of reason (read: excuse) for us to celebrate (read: eat good food and gulp alcoholic drinks).

Did well for mid-terms? Celebrate.

Did well for presentation? Celebrate.

Day off from work? Celebrate.

Class cancelled? Celebrate.

Managed to not have anything from Starbucks for a week? Celebrate. By having a drink from Starbucks.

So, we went to Bubba Gump's to celebrate me only having one more paper to study for. Okay, that's a lie. We just wanted to eat. Haha.

I'm very fascinated with the decor Bubba Gump uses. They have so much ding ding dang dang (rubbish, in Jia-verse) that it's all most too much for a potentially adult-ADHD person like me to handle. It's like, "Golly-gee, look at the amount of things to look at! Look at that and that and that and thaaaat and OOH that!!!"

Besides TGI Fridays, I haven't been in a restaurant where the decorations are scattered all over the place, and by all over the place, I really mean all over the Goddamn place.

Photobucket

So anyway, because it was only supposed to be a midday snack, we did not go crazy ordering all the seafood that BG's famous for. I've actually never had their food, is it good? The first time I went there, we did the whole BYOW (bring your own wine) thing for my birthday, so no food. And it's always been slightly out of our price range and not really ranking high on our "must try!!" list, so we've never been. And also cuz I don't eat much seafood. I don't touch shellfish (mussels, clams, oysters and the lot) and squid. Weird, I know. And KayKay's really anal about the freshness of her seafood. If it tastes off or doesn't have that fresh texture, that's it.

We're picky eaters. :)

But also really good at sussing out food that will taste good, thanks to KayKay's F&B background.

Photobucket

A whole lotta chocolate! It's like, chocolate in the drink, and chocolate in the jar. I like how they're light on the whipped cream on the drink. I don't like whipped cream, even though it does make a drink taste better.

Photobucket

I forgot what the drink's called, but it has Kahlua in it. Damn, but I love the word Kahlua. I love how it feels like a breath of secret tumbling out of your mouth, rolling off your tongue. Is anyone pronouncing Kahlua out loud now to see if it does feel like that? Haha!

But eh, it's such a pretty word! It reminds me of hammocks and sunsets and long sandy beaches and Screaming Orgasms in a coconut shell. It feels like Hawaii in my mouth when I say Kahlua. It's really starting to shape up to be my favorite liqueur. Fuck Chivas, Kahlua is awesome. It's heavy and sweet and ohgodsoyummy.

I actually like Kahlua (the drink) and Kahlua (the word) so much that I told KayKay I'm gonna name my kid after it and she's all horrified looks and "She'd get teased for the rest of her life!!". Bah! Drama queen, that woman. But drama queen does have a point. So I said "I'll modify it. It'll be Kaluah, K-A-L-U-A-H." But yer, seeing it written like that, doesn't seem as exotic as Kahlua. Looks so Indon, haha! It even sounds like kat luar (outside) wtf! I think I'll stick to Kahlua lah. It's any time better than Pilot Inspektor.

Photobucket

That Chocolate Thing! No really, that's what it's called. It's like warm chocolate brownies stuffed into the jar with hot fudge and *shudders* lots and lots of whipped cream slathered generously on top. And also, raspberry jam sprinkled with chocolate powder to balance off the extreme sweetness emanating from the jar of obesity-in-the-waiting. Yeah, that just ruined my oh-so-professional food critique way of writing. I can't help it! I have to be sarcastic, or I will shrivel up and die.

Is that sarcasm? Perhaps.

But no, really. The first bite of That Chocolate Thing is a delight, because the mixture of flavors dancing on your palate is a surprise. Then you have another bite, and another, and another, why how yummy, how addictive! and another and another, wow this is filling! and another and another, welcome to jelak-ville. It's a little disappointing, because it really is nice, but it's kind of hard to stomach because it's just so rich.

Oh and another thing, the servers at Bubba Gump are supremely good at what they do. Fantastic PR.

Photobucket

Definitely no asses at Bubba Gump's (unlike the managers at Chilis, friggin' rude!). Our server, Jacq, actually started dancing to the store's song selection while KayKay and I umm-ed and ahh-ed over the menu. And they're very attentive. Ask for pen, suddenly got two pens waving in your face. :) And unlike most of the places I've dined at, Bubba Gump actually has a good playlist to set the playful, friendly atmosphere that everyone there seems to soak up and fart it out ten times more potent (okay, ew).

I dunno leh, the servers actually look happy to be working! Must be something in the water....

Screw fine dining lah, I wanna eat at Bubba Gump's next time.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment